Celebrate the Fourth of July with our red, white and tie-dyed cupcakes made with Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake, vanilla frosting and food coloring.
1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and egg whites as called for on cake mix box
1 container Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
Several drops each of red and blue food color
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place festive paper baking cups in each of 24 muffin cups.
- Make cake batter as directed on box, using water, oil and egg whites. Place 1 cup batter in each of 3 separate bowls. Tint 1 bowl of batter with several drops of red food color. Tint second bowl with blue food color; leave remaining batter in third bowl white. Spoon scant tablespoon each color batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake 17 to 19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups; cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- To achieve tie-dyed effect with frosting, spoon frosting into 3 small bowls. Tint 1 bowl of frosting with red food color. Tint second bowl with blue food color; leave remaining frosting in third bowl white.
- Place large star tip in disposable decorating bag. Spoon red frosting along long edge of bag, taking up only one side of bag. Repeat with blue and white frostings. (Bag will not be filled perfectly, but should have 3 distinct lines of colored frosting running up side of bag.) Pipe frosting onto top of each cupcake.
- If the frosting method described here feels too finicky, you can achieve a similar effect by gently stirring three colors of frosting into a large bowl, then frost your cupcakes with a butter knife, taking cake to not over mix the colors.
- To achieve the look of bakery-style cupcakes, use two containers of frosting and pipe it generously on top!
Recipe by Brooke McLay
Red, White and Tie-Dyed Cupcakes
Summary: Celebrate the Fourth of July with our red, white and tie-dyed cupcakes made with Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake, vanilla frosting and food coloring.
Rated 4.5 stars